My MadCat Account is a record of the items you have checked out. Use this service to:
- view due dates
- renew items
- view the status of library requests
- view current fines or fees
- pay fines online
- edit your search preferences
- maintain a list of saved items
- maintain and re-run saved searches
If you use more than one UW-Madison ID for library transactions, you will need to check each ID number separately.
Click Logoff and close your browser to ensure privacy.
Note for Netscape users: Login to MadCat using the Login link and then click the My MadCat Account link if you wish to print your library record.
You must supply your 11-digit UW-Madison ID number and your last name to access your account. If there is an issue code at the bottom left corner of your ID, that code is the 11th digit.
Patron Info includes:
- your name
- local mailing address
- phone/fax numbers
- Any email address or temporary mailing address you have supplied to the Libraries will not display.
Updating Your Patron Info
Campus libraries refresh the patron database weekly. To update your local and/or permanent address:
- If you are a student, go to My UW (Student Center) to submit your updated information.
- If you are a faculty or staff member, go to My UW and click on the Work Record tab to submit your updated information.
If you continue to have problems with your address, please notify the Memorial Library circulation office at 263-1721.
You may be blocked from logging in to My MadCat Account, placing requests, or accessing specific databases the Libraries allow you to search. Some reasons for a blocked account are:
- An item you have checked out has been recalled by a patron and is overdue
- You have three or more lost items (from UW-Madison and/or other UW System libraries) on your record
- Your ID has been blocked until the local address is updated
If you have questions about a blocked account, contact Memorial Library's circulation office at 263-7360 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Items Checked Out
My MadCat Account lists checked out items, along with their due dates and statuses (checked out, renewed, overdue, etc.). The item type (book, video, etc.) is for internal use only and does not necessarily describe the physical item.
Use My MadCat Account to renew your own library materials:
- Click in the Renew? check box at the left of each item (to uncheck all items you've selected, click the Reset button)
- Click the Renew Items button when you are done
- If the renewal was successful, the item's status will change to Renewed and list an updated due date
Renewal policies vary among campus libraries. Contact a library if you have questions about its renewal policies.
Request Information lists your library requests, such as items you have recalled from a borrower and/or items you have had retrieved from the shelf.
The Requests Pending table displays the title of the requested item, the date the request expires, its position in the holding queue, and its status. There is the option to cancel your request as well.
The Items Available table informs you of an item that is available for pickup. It includes the item's title, the date on which its availability expires, and the pickup location.
Fines and Fees
The Fines and Fees table lists any outstanding charges you may have acquired. The total amount due is listed at the top. Also listed are:
- the date the charges were assessed or partially paid (Date)
- the title of the item (Title)
- the type of charge (Fee/Posting Type)
- the amount of charge (Fee)
- payments made (Posting)
- the balance still due (Balance)
See the Fines and Holds web page for information on fine payment options (in-person, online or by mail).
If you have questions about fines and fees, contact the Memorial Library circulation office at 263-7360 or email@example.com. If you wish to appeal a library fine, please fill out the Form for Appeal of Library Charges.Jump to top
Set your search preferences so that each time you log in to My MadCat Account your preferred search screen appears. For example, if you prefer to use the Guided search, MadCat will default to the Guided search screen each time you log in.
To set or change search preferences, select
Select the default search screen you wish to see whenever you log in to MadCat and then save your preferences:
Jump to top
Create a list of items you wish to maintain for future viewing.
To save an item to your list, view the record in MadCat. Click the
Save to My List button at the bottom of the record.
To view or edit your list of titles, select
Jump to top
Create a list of saved searches you wish to maintain for your research. You may re-run the searches whenever you are logged in.
To save a search, view the results of the search in MadCat. Click the
Save To My Searches button at the bottom of the results list.
To view, run, or delete your saved searches, select
My Searches :
Jump to top